Fall is right around the corner. Enjoy all the colors it brings on the trails.
We’re headed to Mammoth Mountain for a Road Trip Hike – October 1, 2016!
Revisit this page: https://latrailhikers.com/upcoming
Last Updated: 11/07/2016 – 11:40 AM
HIKES LIST NOTE: Hikes are linked only after they’ve been updated with the correct information. This page constantly updates.
** = New LATH Hike or Special Event (Information may be pending, if so, will be linked at a later date)
- Sat – Sep 03 – Mount Wilson via Winter Creek – Level 8 – 6:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- Sun – Sep 04 – Rancho Palos Verdes – Oceans Trails Reserve – Level 3 – 8:00 AM – 10:45 AM
- Mon – Sep 05 – El Prieto Trail – Level 4 – 1:30 PM – 4:30 PM
- Wed – Sep 07 – Griffith Park – Vermont – Level 5 – 7:00 PM – 9:30 PM
- Fri – Sep 09 – Bridge to Nowhere – Level 7 – 7:00 AM – 2:00 PM
- Sat – Sep 10 – Monrovia Canyon Falls – Level 3 – 8:00 AM – 10:30 AM
- Sun – Sep 11 – Elysian Park – Portola Trail – Level 6 – 2:00 PM – 5:45 PM
- Wed – Sep 14 – Griffith Park – Merry Go Round – Level 4 – 7:00 PM – 9:30 PM
- Fri – Sep 16 – Bolsa Chica Wetlands – Level 2 – 8:00 AM – 10:30 AM
- Sat – Sep 17 – Griffith Park – Amir’s Garden to 5-Points – Level 5 – 7:00 AM – 10:30 AM
- Sun – Sep 18 – Millard Canyon Falls – Level 1 – 7:30 AM – 9:15 AM
- Sun – Sep 18 – Eagle Rock Loop – Level 2 – 10:30 AM – 11:30 AM
- Wed – Sep 21 – Icehouse Saddle – Level 6 – 8:00 AM – 2:00 PM
- Wed – Sep 21 – Griffith Park – Merry Go Round – Level 3 – 7:00 PM – 9:30 PM
- Fri – Sep 23 – Monrovia Canyon Falls – Level 3 – 8:00 AM – 10:30 AM
- Sat – Sep 24 – Ernest Debs Park – Level 4 – 8:00 AM – 10:30 AM
- Sun – Sep 25 – Sturtevant Falls – Level 4 – 6:00 AM – 10:00 AM
- Mon – Sep 26 – Schabarum Park – Level 5 – 8:15 AM – 11:15 AM
- Wed – Sep 28 – Griffith Park – Vermont – Level 4 – 7:00 PM – 9:30 PM
- Sat – Oct 1 – LATH Road Trip Hike – Mammoth Mountain – Levels 1,3,4,5 – 7:30 PM – 3:00 PM
- Wed – Oct 5 – Griffith Park – Merry Go Round – Level 5 – 7:00 PM – 9:30 PM
- Fri – Oct 7 – Inspiration Point (via Castle Canyon) – Level 7 – 7:30 AM – 2:00 PM
- Sat – Oct 8 – Hollywood Sign – Level 5 – 8:00 AM – 12:00 PM
- Sun – Oct 9 – Millard Canyon Falls – Level 3 – 8:00 AM – 10:30 AM
- Wed – Oct 12 – Griffith Park – Vermont – Level 3 – 7:00 PM – 9:30 PM
- Sat – Oct 15 – Topanga State Park – Eagle Rock – Level 4 – 8:00 PM – 11:30 AM
- Sun – Oct 16 – El Prieto Trail – Level 4 – 2:30 PM – 5:30 PM
- Wed – Oct 19 – Griffith Park – Merry Go Round – Level 4 – 7:00 PM – 9:30 PM
- Sat – Oct 22 – Claremont Hills Wilderness Loop – Level 4 – 7:30 AM – 11:00 AM
- Sun – Oct 23 – Griffith Park – Merry Go Round – Level 5 – 5:00 PM – 7:30 PM
- Wed – Oct 26 – Griffith Park – Vermont (Halloween Hike) – Level 3 – 7:00 PM – 9:30 PM
- Sat – Oct 29 – North Etiwanda Preserve – Level 6 – 8:00 AM – 12:30 PM
- Sun – Oct 30 – Sunday’s Hike postponed to Nov 6 (Update as of 10/30 6:17am)
November & December
- Please visit our LATH 2016 November & December hikes list page:
HIKE LIST KEY
Canceled Hike, Event, or Information
- Added OR Replacement/Substitute Hike (Info/Detail)
WHAT IS A HIKING LEVEL?:
Please make sure to gauge yourself based on the hike’s difficulty level by looking at our Hike Level descriptions. Find out more about hiking levels here:
FOLLOW #LATH ONLINE
The LATH Digital Team keeps you updated on upcoming LATH hikes/events, provide outdoor news/updates, share fun pictures, and help answer your hiking or LATH questions. So make sure you connect with us online! If you take pictures on our hikes, don’t forget to tag your LATH hike posts, photos, and updates with #LATH #LATrailHikers #WeHikeLA and/or #GoLATH to show others what it’s like to be out with our group!
We’ll be looking for more great people to be part of LATH Hike Lead team. So, keep an eye out for the next call out so you can submit your interest form and let us know that you want to be part of our awesome group of hike leads. Or, if you’re interested in helping us out on the social front, we’ll also be looking for new members to join the LATH Digital Team. We’ll be doing a call out for that too! We need some great LATH volunteers to keep us going strong!
HIKE CANCELLATION NOTE: Should any hike need to be cancelled (due to heavy rain or other reasons), we’ll try to post on our website’s hike’s detail page and on our Facebook page, about 1 .5 hours prior to the meeting point, so you are aware. Otherwise, the hike is considered a go.
ADDITIONAL HIKE NOTES:
– Weekend hikes are primarily in the morning unless otherwise indicated.
– All hikes are subject to change, cancellation or other modifications. We may even add in additional hikes that may not appear on the original listing.
– We try to schedule 2 months worth of hikes so we always have a fresh new set every so often.
– All hikes listed are pre-scouted by our Hike Leads prior to taking the group.
– We require that you bring water to any of our hikes.
HOW DO I PARTICIPATE WITH THE GROUP ON THESE HIKES?
1. Read the details page for the hike you’re interested in.
2. Make sure that the Hike Level accommodates your hiking experience (1 easiest, 10 most strenuous).
3. If, and only if it suits you, then show up the day of the hike with all necessary gear, nutrition, and water (we mention everything you need on each details page per hike).
4. (Optional): RSVP via Facebook so we know you’re going. It also let’s us know what about how many hikers will be attending.
MY FRIEND SAID I CAN DO THIS HIKE, I SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO IT, RIGHT?
We take your safety quite seriously, and would not like for you to attend a hike you’re not ready for. You know your body and hiking experience better than your friends. Whether you are a first-timer or an experienced hiker, please read our hike details page as the hike may not suite your experience level. We have a better experience if every hike has hikers of the intended level.
DISCLAIMER: LA Trail Hikers and its Leads/Organizers/Volunteers/Participants do not take responsibility for any harm,bodily injury, accidents, or damage to personal property. By clicking “Attending,” or attending the hike, you confirming that you understand that all outdoor activity such as hiking, backpacking, and trekking have an associated danger, and will not hold any hike lead/organizer, participant, LA Trail Hikers, or any group associated pet responsible for any hazard to your well being. Additionally, you will not be allowed to participate with the group if you are not adequately prepared with enough water and the right gear/equipment/nutrition essential to complete the hike. You are fully responsible for yourself.
The Spring LATH Road Trip Hike to Yosemite National Park will be held on Saturday, May 20, 2017. [Save the Date!]
This will be a do your own adventure style trip, so we will not be leading any hikes, just as we did at Zion. However, we have plenty of time to give you information about what you can do out there and how to do so.
We suggest you start setting up your travel arrangements, booking your accommodations (especially if you are going to camp) because they will get full quick, and requesting any necessary time off. to be there with good time. We suggest arriving Friday (5/19), our event is on Saturday (5/20), and having time to pack up and drive back on Sunday (5/21).
We are doing this with great time so you all get the best spots and prices. Most of the activities will occur from the Yosemite Valley area.
- RECOMMENDED CAMPSITES: Upper Pines, Lower Pines, North Pines, Crane Flat, Hodgdon Meadow (Reserve your campsite on January 15, 2017)
- Links and info here: https://latrailhikers.com/2017/01/12/camping-yosemite-lath-road-trip-hike/
- Group campsites (but are a little far from the Valley area) are available all year at Wawona Campground, and during summer at Hodgdon Meadow, Bridalveil Creek, and Tuolumne Meadows Campgrounds.
Options are things such as camping in the valley campgrounds or lodges, lodges in El Portal, or if you prefer other accommodations, you have Oakhurst at about an 1 hour 15 mins away and Fresno at about 2 hours 20 mins. Bass Lake and Coarsegold are also available and are between Fresno and Oakhurst. Full details will follow in a future post. So start getting your accommodations with good time before locations are booked. All hikers are responsible for their own expenses and making their own arrangements for a trip to Yosemite.
We look forward to seeing you there!
Ask us on the FB event page for this upcoming trip: https://www.facebook.com/events/285056951878329/
Also, there are restroom stop numbers. Drive into parking lot to the right of restroom stop #22 (you should see life guard tower 24 & 25 from this parking lot). We’ve got the fire pit right between both lifeguard towers
FULL PARTY DETAILS HERE: https://latrailhikers.com/2016/08/16/la-trail-hikers-beach-party-2016/
*** FRIDAY 8/19 LATH HIKE CANCELLED ***
Due to the current #BlueCutFire and Air Quality near Cucamonga Peak and Ice House Canyon area, we will be cancelling tomorrow’s Cucamonga Peak hike.
[Updated: 6:21am – 8/20/16]
LIFE GUARD TOWER #: Between 24 & 25
We will be at the fire pit directly between Life Guard Towers 24 & 25 (if you pass tower 25, you’ve gone too far).
Hey LA Trail Hikers, it’s time to enjoy a day in the sun at our annual LATH Beach Party on Saturday, August 20, 2016! We’ll be taking a day off trails to celebrate the accomplishments of our LATH hikers with an all day beach party! This event starts early in the morning for some good swimming/sunbathing, and continues through the night for a great evening with a bonfire. Some hikers spend all day with us, and others come for part of the day or night. And best of all, it’s a potluck style event, so bring any good food and non-alcoholic beverages to share with everyone!
SOCIAL EVENT: LA Trail Hikers – Beach Party 2016
EVENT DATE: Saturday, August 20, 2016
EVENT TIME: 8:00am – 9:30pm (All Day Event)
LIFE GUARD TOWER #: Between 24 & 25 (5th pit to the left of the tower 25)
Stay to your left as you enter the beach lot entrance.
The entrance to the beach is on Pacific Coast Highway, about one and a half miles south of Warner Avenue. Bolsa Chica State Beach is slightly south of Seal Beach and north of Huntington Beach.
EVENT DESCRIPTION: The sun is out and the LA Trail Hiker are ready for their 2016 Beach Party! Join us to enjoy the wonderful combination of great food, friends and families at Bolsa Chica State Beach! This event is open to all our LATH Hikers.
EVENT RSVP: Let us know you’re be attending! RSVP via FB at:
POTLUCK INFO: This is a potluck-style event so bring a dish and drinks to share with others. Bringing something to the beach party? If you have any portable cooking tools/Propane BBQ Grills (no charcoal grills), please feel free to bring them. Keep in mind that people like to volunteer to cook around the clock. NO ALCOHOL ALLOWED. Let us know what goodies you’ll be bringing by putting your name and the items in the following form:
POTLUCK SIGNUP FORM
Bringing food, non-alcoholic beverages, utensils, or something else ? Let us know: http://bit.ly/q9bGTB
BEACH GEAR: So what should you take with you? It’s very important that you bring a chair and don’t forget your beach towels and a sweater for later that night. You’ll want to have plenty of sunscreen and other beach-related items. However, we recommend you taking any of the following to make your day/evening at the beach a great experience:
- Sunscreen – You’ll be glad we reminded you.
- Water – Keep in mind you’ll probably get thirsty throught your stay and will need to keep hydrated.
- Beach Chairs – You’ll use these plenty for enjoying a relaxing beach day/night
- Beach Blankets – When you want soak some sun, take an after-swim nap, or take a break from sitting/standing.
- Towels/Swimwear – Think ahead and prepare for some fun in the water.
- Coolers/Insulated Lunch Boxes – If you plan on bringing some food/refreshments that need to stay cold, you might consider bringing one.
- Beach/River/Water Sandals – You may want to get into the water but with foot protection, so these may come in handy.
- Sports Equipment – Bicycle, Football, Hula Hoops, Volleyball & net, and any other type of fun sports equipment you might want to share.
- Beach Umbrellas – Keeps you under the shade.
- Plastic Bags – Keep your wet clothes separate.
- Throws/Blankets – Later in the evening you may want to cozy up with a blanket as it will get cold at night.
- Sweaters/Long Pants – Again, it does get colder later in the evening. Keep yourself warm.
- Firewood – Have any extra wood laying around? Bring some for our fire pit.
- BBQ/Cooking Utensils – Do you have portable cookware? We’ll need some where to cook those burgers.
- Propane Only BBQs – Only propane BBQ’s are allowed at Bolsa Chica State Beach.
- No enclosed tents. (However, EZ-UP/Canopies (half tents) and open tarps are okay).
- Other Recommendations? – Post them on our FB Event page.
BEACH PARKING & FEE: $15.00 per vehicle (9 persons or less per vehicle). $30.00 for over-sized vehicles. It is best to arrive prior to 10 am to get good parking. It gets very crowded this time of year, so if you don’t want to spend hours waiting in line and trying to find parking, it is advised that you come early or later in the evening, not midday. If you come after, you may get locked out out of a full parking lot. And they will only allow people in once a number of people have left. So please get there earlier in the day.
DOG FRIENDLY?: Not really. No Dogs allowed on sand, they can be on a leash on paved multi-use trail (bike path) only. We recommend leaving your pets at home, or with a designated caretaker while you’re at this event.
BOLSA CHICA STATE BEACH INFO:
DISCLAIMER: LA Trail Hikers and its Leads/Organizers/Participants do not take responsibility for any harm,bodily injury, accidents, or damage to personal property. By attending the event, you confirming that you understand that all outdoor activity such as bicycling, swimming, and all other beach activity may have an associated danger, and will not hold any hike lead/organizer, participant, LA Trail Hikers, or any group associated pet responsible for any hazard to your well being. We are not responsible for any loss or personal injury.
[UPDATE]: This past Sunday morning, LATH Hike Lead, Diana Herrera was interviewed on Crown City News (a local TV show on KVMD that covers Pasadena and the San Gabriel Valley) to provide some great hiking tips. She was able to tell viewers about the LA Trail Hikers do and and how to join us on some great adventures! #GoLATH
In case you missed it, here’s the full interview for you to enjoy. Feel free to share!
[Previous] Set your alarms, or DVRs! On Saturday, Aug 6 at 6am on KVMD, Crown City News will include a 5 min TV interview with our LATH Hike Lead Diana Herrera. She’ll be talking about #LATH and providing hiking recommendations for the public. We hope you are able to support by tuning in!
Here is the link to help you find the channel:
Join the LA Trail Hikers for a great social event on Saturday, July 30, 2016 as we head out to Dodger Stadium for a great night of baseball fun! That night the Dodgers will be playing against the Arizona Diamond Backs. The game starts at 6:10pm. To be part of this event, simply purchase your tickets anywhere in the primary stadium area (does not include Right or Left Pavillion) and enjoy the game. During the 7th Inning stretch, we’ll get together for a picture at the Upper Reserve section 29 food court area (outside of the seating area, but inside the stadium ticket gates).
EVENT: LATH @ Dodger Stadium
WHEN: Saturday, July 30, 2016 (Game Starts at 6:10pm)
HOW: Purchase your own Dodger Tickets (http://purchase.tickets.com/buy/MLBEventInfo?orgid=8&agency=MLB&pid=8182888 or on dodgers.com) and enjoy the game at your leisure.
WHAT: We’ll be taking a group picture during the 7th Inning Stretch. Meet in the food court area outside of Upper Reserve section 29.
Please be there before the stretch begins so you can be in the group picture. If you are on the opposite side of the stadium, or in the top deck, make sure you start to head out early so you don’t miss us.
We look forward to seeing you there!
On Tuesday, July 26, 2016, from 7:00pm to 8:30pm, we’ll be hosting our LATH Hiking Tips, Tricks, & Stories event at Holy Grounds Coffee & Tea. The best part about this event is that it’s going to be brought to life by you! We’re looking to have our very own hikers take the stage, for a few of minutes, to talk about their great hiking experience tips, tricks, and stories!
A few examples topics: why wear hiking socks, footwear recommendations, hiking poles, gaiter use, why crampons/micro-spikes, getting an Adventure Pass, cleaning your hydration pack, importance of electrolytes, types of snacks to carry, tying your shoes for special cases, hiking etiquette, physical/mental health success stories, why you enjoy hiking with the LA Trail Hikers, what hiking means to you, importance of leave no trace, and any other fun little tips and tricks you use on the trails that might be helpful for other hikers to know.
Presenters/Speakers (so far: Updated 7/20 1:08pm):
Alex Escalona – Conditioning for a Hike: Walking posture & Nutrition
Jessica Tovar – The Ten Essentials – What are they & Why do I need to carry all this stuff?
Tony Ramos – Hiking the John Muir Trail
Bethany Guerrero & Drew Unser (of Oddity Odysseys) – The necessity of hiking to explore L.A.
We highly encourage you to participate. Talks can run anywhere from 2 to 10 mins. Really it’s up to you. We’d love to hear what you have to share.
SIGN UP TO SHARE
|Date:||Tuesday, July 26, 2016|
|Time:||6:30pm – 7:00pm – Order drinks and treats|
7:00pm – 8:30pm – Event Begins
|Location:||Holy Grounds Coffee & Tea|
|Street:||5371 Alhambra Ave. Los Angeles, California 90032|
We’ll get together at Holy Grounds Coffee & Tea, in El Sereno (East Los Angeles), at 7:00pm to 8:30pm. Please arrive 1/2 hour before to get your drinks and we’ll get started at about 7pm. They’ve been generous enough to save us a section of their outdoor patio for our event and in return it would be great if you support their small business by purchasing a drink or food item. All members/fans of LA Trail Hikers, first-time hikers, and those simply interested in hiking are welcome to join in on this event. We hope to see you there!